Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Bing Cherry & Pear Upside-Down Cakes, June 2007














































Photo by Molly DeCoudreaux

This is one of my favorite new recipes. I've made it 4 or 5 times in the past few months experiementing with different fruit toppings. The recipe is from Rick Bayless's cookbook, Everyday Mexican. The batter is very simple and isn't too sweet, using equal parts white and whole wheat flour. My favorite fruit combination so far has been blueberry with white nectarine--- the juices from the blueberry caramelized with the brown sugar topping and meld perfectly with the sweet nectarine. I've also tried bing cherry and peach (separately, not together). I've tried both the yogurt method and the milk method. The yogurt variation is best, and you can even use vanilla yogurt to add a little extra sweetness. I've also added a little more sugar to sweeten it for dessert (or birthday cake). It is also delicious for breakfast, as suggested by the recipe (tastes great warmed in the toaster oven and with a dollop of yogurt!

No comments: