Friday, August 24, 2007

Warakubune, 8/23/07

I went to this sushi place by my house last night for a quick dinner. It's called Warakubune and is located on Church St. between 15th & 16th, across the street from "secret sushi". It has the moving sushi boats on a conveyer belt above the sushi bar. I know this can be a turn off for some people, but there's something very pleasing about having endless options of perfect sushi rolls and nigiri floating by. You have to react and hand select each dish. And the portions are smaller for the larger rolls (3 pieces), so you can sample more. You can also order off of their menu & order rolls/sashimi from the sushi chef that you don't see on the boats. Everything I tried was very good and the fish tasted incredible fresh. There are defintiely cheaper sushi spots in the neighborhood (secret sushi & Miyabi), but I really enjoyed my meal here. The service is impecible and fast and the atmosphere is fun. I'm not always into eating at the counter because you're shoulder to shoulder with your neighborhood (I know, that's SO American of me), but the food here is worth it. My friend and I ordered a large Sapporo and about 10 plates off of the boat. Our total was $38, which seems like a good price for what how much we ate and how high quality the food was.

No comments: